Thursday, May 7, 2009

Spring Garden Update

We're finally getting rain this spring and the garden's showing its appreciation.Spinach, lettuce and radishes were on the menu by the first of April and two weeks ago we harvested the first of the asparagus and rhubarb. I even managed to stash about 2 quarts of rhubarb in the freezer but we tend to eat any asparagus available. We're a greedy bunch. [Photo shows lettuce and spinach after the fourth harvest and still producing.]

DH started bok choy, broccoli, and two types of swiss chard in the cold frames earlier this spring and has begun setting them out in the regular beds this past week. The tomatoes we seeded in mid-March are looking great and will probably go into the garden late next week. May 15 is the safe last frost date around here.

I'm starting Hillbilly Potato-leafed tomatoes for DS as they're his favorite and will also have winter and summer squash as well as gourds ready to go out in the garden beds by the end of this month when the nights should be consistently warmer.

The garden got pushed to the side the last few days as DS and DH spent Friday on a hike of Mud Pond trail with Lester Zook's WILD GUYde Adventures. The hike was supposed to happen earlier in the week but was postponed due to rain. And they went canoeing with the same group this past Tuesday -- the rain didn't bother DS in the least.
I had my own trip last weekend when a friend and I went to the Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival on Sunday. We left at 5am, I got back home about 7pm and it rained the whole time. The festival was oh so wet but we had a great time. Met some wonderful people at the Ravelry meetup and, of course, purchased a little fiber, too. I couldn't resist getting a skein of Blue Moon Fiber's Socks that Rock in the Hurdy Gurdy colorway -- for once I was glad it was raining as it meant The Fold's booth wasn't as packed as usual. I could even browse for a few minutes... Then I found some gorgeous dyed Coopworth wool at the Wild 'n' Woolly Farm booth and scooped it up for part of a Ravelry swap package I need to mail out this week.

1 comment:

Wraps Recipes said...

Great read, thank you.